Author Topic: SlickEdit Version 2013 Window Cascading  (Read 3931 times)

3JB

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit Version 2013 Window Cascading
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
I recently upgraded from SlickEdit 2011 (v16.0.3.0 64-bit) to SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.13 64-bit).  In general, everything went smoothly.

My biggest dislike of 2013 is the way files are displayed only via tabs and grouping.  Version 2011 had tabs and grouping, but also had window cascading via Window->Cascade.  Also, in version 2013, all open files are always maximized to fill the main window.  Also, there are no keyboard shortcuts to arrange windows (as there was with version 2011, e.g. Alt+w+c cascades windows).

Is there a way to use cascaded windows in version 2013?  Version 2011 was more functional, as it supported cascading and tabbing of windows.

Thank you.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: SlickEdit Version 2013 Window Cascading
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
We no longer have cascading windows with the new MDI architecture. Sorry if you like them, but they're gone.
The only equivalent is to do a tiling (Window > Tile), which you could do before. But now it is implemented with our new tab group arrangement. And once you have multiple tab groups, you can do a lot with them like...
- Dragging files one tab group to another
- Drag to create a brand new tab group
- Float one or more document tab to create a floating tab group, which can then be placed on a second display and maximized
- Untile to consolidate everything back into one big group

So yes, it's a bit different than cascaded windows, and does take a little getting used to. But the real big advantage is the ability to create floating groups to make better use of screen real estate.

kblocke

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit Version 2013 Window Cascading
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
I am haveing serious upgrade remorse.  Cascading windows is a key like from SE2011.  Not having them in SE2014... Can I have my money back?