Author Topic: Where is my tab bar?  (Read 2950 times)

SeeCwriter

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Where is my tab bar?
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:42:23 PM »
I had this problem before, and I was told how to recover, but I can't find the posts. If I search for my handle, it shows like 4-posts, when there are many more.

I'm using SE 2013, v18.0.0.13, 64-bit. I have enabled "One File per window".

I split a window to edit the same file in two places, then hit some unknown key sequence and one of the windows disappeared. SE would not let me open another window of the same file. So I clicked "One Window", which was a mistake last time and this time. Now all the files are gone and all the tabs across the top showing each file are gone. I poked around and clicked "Toggle Zoom", which brought back the one tab for the one file that being shown. The other files are still open. How do I get the tabs back?

Steve

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
Re: Where is my tab bar?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:31:57 AM »
For the SE support team, this sounds like CAS-63961-PSHN:

1) Set SE to be using one-file-per window.
2) Open many files. There will be many tabs at the top of the MDI group.
3) Choose Window|One Window
4) The current file is displayed all other tabs disappear.
5) Choose File|Close All

Only the current file is close. Shouldn't all files be closed? The similar occurs for Close Others?

Steve, I don't think you can get your tabs back. You'll probably need to close all of the files and open them again.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
It sounds to me like you hit the key sequence for "zoom-window", which is bound to Ctrl+Shift+Z by default.

If you are in an emulation where Ctrl+Z is "undo", you may have hit Ctrl+Shift+Z expecting "redo".  I would suggest rebinding the key Ctrl+Shift+Z key sequence if that is the case.

mako

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
How do I get the tabs back?
I think you can get them back one at a time like this:
  • Split your current window.
  • Bring up the Files window and select the Buffers tab (Ctrl-Shift-B for me, but it's on the Document menu and the tab context menu as "List open files...").
  • All your previously opened but now-not-visible files should be listed here. Pick one and it will show in your current pane.
  • From the tab context menu, pick the appropriate "Move tab to Group on blah" choice to put this new tab in the same pane as the original one.
Repeat these steps for each of the hidden buffers. It goes faster if you bind the commands for steps 1,2, and 4 to keys.