Author Topic: slick edit has stopped working  (Read 3163 times)

allen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
slick edit has stopped working
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:44:15 pm »
Was using ver 17 65bit for over a year with no problem then started to get this message. Sometimes was a memory location read error sometimes Win7 wanted to send these files out the door:
Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Users\amiller\AppData\Local\Temp\WER256B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\amiller\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3A72.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\amiller\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3AC1.tmp.mdmp

Thought maybe a file was corrupted and was thinking of upgrading to ver 18 64 bit so did but getting the same behavior.

Any ideas?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 334
Re: slick edit has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:02:24 am »
A quick answer you could try.  Start a brand new configuration folder by invoking slick with the -sc some-new-empty-folder-name +new  - see if the problem still occurs.  If no, export and import your configuration from your old configuration, see if the problem still occurs.  If you continue using the new config folder, you will have to re-install hotfixes.

allen

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:18:29 pm »
Howdy...your suggestion worked however I had already uninstalled ver 17 before installing 18 so didn't have the export handy...doh! In the end I re-installed 18, alas with lost settings.

Thanks for your help.

allen

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
Wow...just after I posted I tried opening the project (clicking on .vpj) that I had been working on when the errors started and received the same '...stopped working' message. I then tried a different existing project and it works fine.

So I assume something happened to the SE project definition file(s) that caused the errors.

Thanks again. 

Graeme

• Hero Points: 334
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:55 pm »
If you think there's something about the project file that causes the hang, and it's reproducible, SlickEdit might want to know about it  - or you could post the project file here and see if anyone else can reproduce the problem.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:52:22 am »
The .vpwhist file might be interesting as well.

You could try making a copy of it, and then delete the original (please make a copy first!), and see if that solves the problem.

Please share the copied .vpwhist, if the information inside isn't sensitive (the file is human readable, so should be easy to check for sensitive info).

allen

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »
ah, didn't think about this; deleted the project files shortly after the experience.