Author Topic: vse hangs on network timeout, when no network projects are open  (Read 3778 times)

dholshou

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
vse hangs on network timeout, when no network projects are open
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
Recently I started using a Linux VM for development on one of my projects.
I use VSE on Windows7.
I mapped a drive to the smb share on that VM and created a project with all project and workspace files on that VM/SMB share. Let's call that project "netproj."

Now, if that VM isn't running VSE hangs (I'm guessing network timeout) even if I'm not accessing the networked project.

If the VM isn't running and I open VSE it hangs for a minute or so at start up no matter what project was open when I last closed VSE.

After that minute, it opens and I can interact normally with my local project "locproj." 

I've looked at every configuration setting or directory and nothing in the current environment or current project points to the VM. I close VSE and reopen, it still hangs for network timeout.

Is VSE trying to access the project on the VM even if that project isn't in use?

I deleted all projects on the VM, closed and reopened VSE. It still hung until I closed and reopened VSE again. Now it opens normally. It appears VSE must read the project files for projects that aren't opened and hangs until network timeout.

How can I create a project against the code on my VM that doesn't hang every other project if I'm not running the VM?

SlickEdit Version 15.0.0.6

Build Date: May 07, 2010
Emulation: Vim

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 49% Load, 0MB/4194MB Physical, 291MB/2097MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1280 x 1024

Project Type:
Language: .h (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\SlickEditV15.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,212689MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\15.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,212689MB free)
Spill File: C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.2 (non-removable drive,NTFS,212689MB free)

dholshou

• Community Member
Re: vse hangs on network timeout, when no network projects are open
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
As a test, I deleted all vpj/vpw files and projects associated with the VM. I recreated a project with the vpj/vpw files on my local disk then added the tree of source against \\192.168.x..y\me\source.

So, the project is local even if the source is not. Same response. While starting with the VM closed and locproj as the open project VSE still hung.

dholshou

• Community Member
Re: vse hangs on network timeout, when no network projects are open
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
I d/l'd the v18 trial and upon first blush, it does appear to fix the problem.