Author Topic: incremental search initialization strings  (Read 3452 times)

Andrew

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
incremental search initialization strings
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:16:13 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to switch to SE from Epsilon and am having some trouble replicating the search behavior I had in that editor.

For incremental search, the search string would be initialized with the current selection (or the token that the cursor just happened to be on, if nothing happened to be selected within the current buffer).

Within the incremental search window, the initialization string would be highlighted/selected so that, if the user were to start typing, the initialization string would simply be overwritten by the typed characters, and the incremental search would occur just as you'd expect.

However, the user would have the option of pressing Ctrl-S (or whatever) to search for the initialization string, without (over)typing anything...

Of course, reverse incremental search (Ctrl-R) would also prepopulate the search "window" with an initialization string.

I've noticed that I can make the gui-find dialog pre-populate with an initialization string via various "Too window options" on the "Search" tab of the general options box, but "search string initialization" apparently only applies to the dialog-based find.

Does anyone have an suggestions for a fix?

Andrew

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: incremental search initialization strings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:22:16 PM »
Actually, never mind, I just discovered quick-search - this basically does what I want. It's nice that i-search and quick-search are separate concepts actually, I had them bound to the same key, effectively, in the previous editor, but I don't mind using separate keys for quick-search and i-search. Sorry for the spam...