Author Topic: Tag Navigation and Duplicate Symbols  (Read 1358 times)

cgrant

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Tag Navigation and Duplicate Symbols
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »
Hi there,

I'm new to SlickEdit.  Many in my office use it, so I'm trying to join the crowd.

Our codebase has unit test mock code within it, which essentially means there are duplicate classes.  Now I'm trying to get tag-based symbol navigation working, and I find that in the duplicated class case, SlickEdit jumps to one of the class instances, rather than prompting for a choice.  That means that when I'm in a particular class file, and attempt to jump to another internal class member, sometimes I actually end up jumping to a different file completely (to the mock class).

Interestingly, when I use the Find Symbol tool, it lists both definitions, which tells me it knows about both.  Is there a way I can get it to prompt when encountering duplicate symbols?  Or do I need to rebuilt my tag file to explicitly exclude mock files?

This is with SlickEdit 12.0.3.0.

Thanks folks!

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 438
Re: Tag Navigation and Duplicate Symbols
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »
I would first check if there is preprocessing that is causing things to be tagged in a manner other than what you expect.  We do deal with duplicate symbols well, but there are a few cases where it can jump directly to a symbol instead of prompting you with the duplicates:

1) Tagging is lost because of preprocessing and it thinks there is only one symbol to go to.
2) You have the option to "Prioritize navigation" set to symbol definition or prototype.
3) The tagging search times out before it finds all the duplicates.  For example, a remote tag file.

If you can reproduce this problem regularly, a complete example always helps.