Author Topic: New user questions  (Read 3644 times)

Tom Foran

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
New user questions
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
I am debating the purchase of SlickEdit. My old editor has not been updated in a while and I need to move to a new editor. My fingers are micro coded to press certain key combinations to do functions. It is difficult to re-code the fingers so I need an editor that can be reconfigured to match what my fingers expect. :)

Before I make the purchase, I would like to know: 

1)   How do I configure a “Key Binding Range”?
I see how to change key binding, but I am used to setting bookmarks with Ctrl + K, 1 – 9 and going to those bookmarks with Ctrl + 1 – 9. (I don't remember which editor used Ctrl + K, but I still use it. I do not like pressing Ctrl + Shift + a number to go to a bookmark).

In the Key Bindings Option, the Key Sequence is shown as “Ctrl+0 -> Ctrl+9”. As a simple change, I tried to change to Alt+0 -> Alt+9 but I did not see how to do that. How do I enter a range?

2)   When switching away from my previous editor to another application, the current file is saved. This was done so the editor could synch with an IDE. Does SlickEdit support saving the file when switching to another application?

Thanks Tom Foran

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: New user questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
Hi Tom,
1) I afraid you still need this helper macro for that
2) There is an option 'Tools > Options > File Options > Save'
Save files on loss of focus - When set to On, all modified files are saved when you switch to another application.
HS2

PS: It's a good idea to purchase maintenance, too.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
I don't know if it's supposed to be possible to enter a range in the key bindings dialog or not.
If you export your key bindings you can see something like this for a range.
<Assign Key="Ctrl+2 -&gt; Ctrl+9" Command="alt-bookmark"/>

With a double key sequence like Ctrl-K 0, you need to enter all ten bindings individually - doesn't take long though.

Tom Foran

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
hs2, thanks for the link to the helper macro and save info. That is what I was looking for.

What's the benefit of maintenance? Is it for the support or do new releases come out often?

hs2 and Graeme. I have been able to change the bookmarks, but I don't know the syntax for Ctrl+K 0. Graeme, you say it has to be done 10 times, which I don't mind, but the syntax still has me a little stumped.

I'm liking this editor and will make the purchase before the price goes up. I'm an old mainframer and to be able to switch to ISPF mode (a mode I'm sure most people never use) is great. It allows my mind to think as a mainframer or as a normal editor.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
@Tom: Maintenance is only 60$ and entitles you to
a) get official support
b) get all new releases/upgrades for free :)

Concerning setting numbered bookmarks:
This binds the key sequence '<CTRL>-K' '0'-'9' to the appr. command.
Code: [Select]
defeventtab default_keys;
def 'C-K' '0'-'9'= alt_bookmark;

HS2

Tom Foran

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »
HS2

Thanks! That did it. I tried different combinations, but of course was not close.