Author Topic: Feature request: show preview in Symbol window for searchs and build errors  (Read 15078 times)

KenM

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I'd like the Search Results window to work like the References window- as I click on a found instance, show the file & line in the Symbols window.

Also, the Build window: if I click on a build error, show the file & line in the symbol window.

Ken

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
We've been turning the Symbol Window into a preview window a little at a time. I think this is a great suggestion. I have filed a change request for this, but I can't say when we'll implement it.  Perhaps in v12.

--Scott

natros

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
We've been turning the Symbol Window into a preview window a little at a time. I think this is a great suggestion. I have filed a change request for this, but I can't say when we'll implement it.  Perhaps in v12.

--Scott
Is there a roadmap for v12?
What features are you planning for next version?

ScottW, VP of Dev

That's a common question. Yes, there is a roadmap for v12. Unfortunately, I can't share it with you, sorry. Though we work hard to keep to an annual release cycle, the contents of a particular release changes over time. We'll start a feature only to find out it poses more difficulty than expected. Or we'll get a great idea late in the release cycle and bump an already planned feature to accomodate it.

Even on minor enhancements, I'm hesitant to say anything until they have actually been coded. We've had occaisions where we told people we'll try to include a change in a particular release and then not be able to do so, only to have them be angry because we promised we'd include it.

We're working on some ideas on how we can give customers a better sense of what's coming without revealing too much or letting people down when things change. If you have any ideas about this, I'd be delighted to hear them.

--Scott

rwehrli

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
If you have any ideas about this, I'd be delighted to hear them.

--Scott

I doubt that I have any useful ideas about this, but I think that this forum is a great start in a positive direction.  My thinking is that this community-centric communications medium will evolve over time and in that evolution, users will be better informed on many topics beyond what's coming in future releases.  I also suspect that a lot of good ideas from the community will work their ways into the product so that we all benefit as a result of it.  I've been using SE since v3, so I know that I'm hooked!  I think that other users who are rather new to SE may find this forum is a great resource for finding a lot of cool tricks, traps and techniques for using The World's Best Code Editor!

Scott, maybe we can have a V12 SE icon "contest?"  Talk about community involvement!

Take Care.

Rob!

natros

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Scott, maybe we can have a V12 SE icon "contest?"  Talk about community involvement!
The icon is not that bad. Another issue are the icons from class viewer that needs serious improvements.

ScottW, VP of Dev

This is really great feedback. I think we worked on the class browser icons when we did the main icons, in version 10. What improvements are you looking for? When we looked at other products, they had different icons for the various entities we represent, but none of the icons we saw conveyed more meaningful information.

We're always interested in hearing how we can improve the product, and specific feedback like this really helps. Too often we get something like, "the GUI needs to be updated" and that really doesn't help us identify where the main problems are so we can tackle the most important things first.

--Scott

rwehrli

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
The icon is not that bad. Another issue are the icons from class viewer that needs serious improvements.

It isn't that the icon is "bad," rather, with v12, there seems to be an "opportunity" waiting for a really cool SE icon to emerge...was my thinking.

Take Care.

Rob!