Author Topic: File tabs disappeared  (Read 8655 times)

MgFrobozz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
File tabs disappeared
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
My file tabs have disappeared in one of my projects, and I can't get them back. They were the new/improved tabs at the top of the file windows (round edges, more tightly-associated cpp and h files). I selected View/ToolWindows/FileTabs, and that now shows the old-style tabs at the bottom of the file windows, which is ok, but when I switch to another project, I have tabs at the top and at the bottom.

I also tried setting Tools/Options/EditorWindows/Zoom(hidetabs) to "Never", but it didn't restore the improved tabs.

What I'd like (ideally) is to have improved tabs at the bottom. Any ideas on how to get the improved tabs back, and how to move them to the bottom? I found a discussion involving "set-var def_document_tabs_orientation 1", but that command does nothing in my version.

Thanks for any help ...

SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.1.2 64-bit)
OS Version: CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
Kernel Level: 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: File tabs disappeared
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
Try using Window>Zoom Toggle.

MgFrobozz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
Thanks, Dan ... that restored them to the top.

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »
I just ran into this problem and the Window/Zoom Toggle fixed it.

However, I think it's bad form that I had to stumble on this in the online forum - there's no mention of the new File Tabs behavior in the help docs.  All I found was help on dealing with the old File Tabs tool window. Not one word on the new File Tabs (not even a mention that there something other than the old File Tabs tool windows).  There's a picture of them at the start of Chapter 3: "User Interface", but even the text underneath the picture talks about View/Tool Windows/File Tabs and links to the help topic on the old file tabs.

Maybe the help for "Windows/Zoom Toggle" could mention File Tabs, since all that the command seems to do for me is toggle whether or not the new File Tabs control is displayed.  I would have never figured this out without finding it here.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
The docs could definitely be improved on this, especially the "File tabs" item under "User Interface". At least this section is likely to be seen and read.

We call the new tabs Document Tabs to differentiate them from the File Tabs. In the options though, a number of the "File tab" options effect the Document tabs.

A number of users have wanted the reverse of what you want. That is, they want to get rid of the Document tabs and zoom toggle is the trick.