Author Topic: Question about autocomplete  (Read 4096 times)

Logology

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Question about autocomplete
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
Why is the caret not at the same place always(I mean I know why, it's because there should be a new line after the main declaration, but I don't see the purpose. I don't think it's a bug, because this editor is very mature, so there must be something I"m missing here)? I have to press the left arrow key to start typing inside the braces (the top one is an example). Also, there is only one tab jumping possibility in the top example(and the caret is always there, so it's a zero tab jump). I expect SE to autocomplete every time like the bottom one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:40:15 PM by Logology »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Question about autocomple
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »
Very good example, that appears to be a bug.  It is always supposed to be the second one for that particular syntax expansion, but something isn't working correctly.  I will file a defect and see if that can be hotfixed or fixed in a future release.

Logology

• Community Member
Re: Question about autocomple
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
I am a potential customer and hope they can fix this. Why? Not because it's annoying. It's because then I can judge this company(how serious and professional they are). If they don't fix it, there is no point for me in buying this software. I like paying for customer support, not for software. However, so far I like this editor very much(15 day trial).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:36:57 PM by Logology »

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: Question about autocomplete
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »
It's odd, that looks a lot like a bug that was fixed in 18.0.1.1, so the fix should already be in your trial.  And I don't seem to be able to reproduce it from the trial I just downloaded, using just the source text provided in your post.  Just for paranoia's sake, check the Help -> About box and make sure it's reporting 18.0.1.2.

Otherwise, to narrow it down, bring up your source file, and go to Document -> Java Options, and uncheck "Beautify while typing" if it's checked, and then see if you can still reproduce the problem. 

Logology

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.1.2 64-bit)

This is what I'm trialing, and the problem didn't magically go away. Whenever I'm making a new java file, this happens. I bet it's like this for the other languages as well (c, c++, c#).

"Beautify while typing" was not checked.

Trying to reproduce it with a fresh installation (32bit windows): The bug still happens.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:05:39 PM by Logology »

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
I just pulled the trial on windows 64 to double check, and got it to happen the first time.   I must have flubbed the reproduce on linux somehow.

Looking at it, it's definitely hot-fixable.

To work around it, go to Document -> Java Options and uncheck the "Beautify syntax expansions".  Then you'll see the hotspots as they're supposed to appear.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:55:05 PM by patrick »

Logology

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
This is a good temporary solution, I appreciate your help! So the core autocomplete is not broken, the problem is with the beautification module.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
I've fixed this for the next release.  It ended up being a deeper problem than I originally thought, so I'm still trying to work out if I can hotfix a workaround for v18 without causing other problems.

Thanks for the report on this. 

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:53 PM »
I'm seeing this same problem in a C/C++ file, and just wanted to check: is the fix you're doing going to apply to all languages, or just Java?

Thanks!

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
It applies to all languages.  It's easier to trigger in C# and Java, but it's definitely not impossible for it to happen in Objective-C or C++.