Author Topic: Enabling Brief Emulation for all files, but specifically XML files, when editing  (Read 7863 times)

jwbtampa

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I have set Brief emulation, and it works for C/C++, but I cannot seem to enable it as my default editor mode, it still defaults to CUA mode when editing XML or CSV files...
I briefly looked through help and the forum, but I can't spend hours looking...
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
SlickEdit Core v3.7.1 for Eclipse
Library Version: 16.0.3.0 32-bit
Build Date: December 01, 2011
Emulation: Brief
Eclipse:  3.6.2.M20101201-0800
JDT:  3.6.1.v201102101200
CDT: 

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 72% Load, 8842MB/12242MB Physical, 7076MB/24483MB Page File, 1396MB/2047MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:02:36 PM by jwbtampa »

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Are you certain that the SlickEdit editor is being used? There are some changes/additions to a handful of default key bindings for language-specific functionality, mostly to support auto-expansion and other completions. For example, in plain text mode the TAB key is mapped to the move-text-tab command, but in most languages which support auto-indent features the command is smarttab.

But there is no case I have ever seen where SlickEdit will wholesale switch your emulation on you (outside of a customer writing a macro to do the switch). Double-check your Eclipse file association settings. You should see the SlickEdit editor listed at the top. Perhaps some other plug-in or settings change removed it from the list or changed the look-up order.

The quickest way to see if the SlickEdit editor is in fact active for a particular source window is to right-click in the text to bring up the context menu. If the menu has the "Edit this menu" command at the bottom, it's the SlickEdit editor menu. If the bottom command is "Preferences" or "Input Methods", then it's the native Eclipse editor menu.

jwbtampa

Hi Mathew,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I am able to use it on C/C++ files, as well as text files--just not XML files, the editor just defaults back to CUA mode temporarily.  I was hoping that the Emulation had a file association that was not set correctly, but I don't see anything.  I was also hoping for a language setting that could be added or that there was a way to force it for all files.  I went through all of the XML setting menus too.
Normally the full Slickedit Standalone allows you to edit anything in Brief Mode.  This is the Core Plug-in for Eclipse, and it has to play along with other plugins--as well as Eclipse, so it is not going to be in full control like a standalone version.  This just appears to be a bug in the slickedit core.

jwbtampa

Update:
I recently created a new Project in eclipse that had some XML files.  The first time that I attempted to open an XML file I was given the opportunity to edit it using Brief Mode Emulation.
When I get some spare time, in the next day or so, I will collect more information to be a little more help to others.  Perhaps the first time I opened an XML file previously it was due to the slickedit core being a new Add-On...in an older project.  I don't recall getting any option in the recent past.