Author Topic: Timeline for beta update or official release?  (Read 15947 times)

mckaiju

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Timeline for beta update or official release?
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Just wondering when we should expect an update for the beta for windows or an official release. 

mckaiju

• Community Member
Re: Timeline for beta update or official release?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
anything?  Will this beta or kepler be supported further?

wsappington

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »
Hello?  Anybody minding the store?  It's been a week since this question was posted, over two weeks since the original post.  What's going on?  Not just with the beta, but in general?  Slickedit's participation on this board lately has been zilch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:00:30 PM by wsappington »

mckaiju

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
I'm honestly worried they have closed up shop or just stopped using boards, I havent seen any activity from them on any of the boards.  I have had to abandon slickedit due to the issues and lack of support.  Really wish that wasn't the case because I did use and love the product for years. 

wsappington

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
I just called and spoke to someone in sales, actually got a live person.  He said Slickedit is still up and running and the Core beta program is still on.  He was unaware that there has been no participation by Slickedit staff in these forums since approximately October or that there has been an open question on the Core Beta forum for over 3 weeks.  He said he would make sure the issue is addressed.  All well and good on the face of it but I sure don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this product anymore.  I've gone back to using the Slickedit base product for code development and Eclipse for build/debug.  At least the base product will still work (albeit unsupported) if they do actually go under.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
Whoa, folks. My apologies on this. For some reason I was not seeing post updates (or getting e-mail notices) from this beta forum. Here's what's going on.
In a nutshell, we're still dealing with some stray issues that stem from our desktop product's conversion to the Qt user interface code. We thought we were very close to getting the Windows version out the door until we had an issue reported where our code editor windows were still keeping focus when a non-SlickEdit editor window received focus. That revealed a larger issue on the whole concept of "focus state ownership". The good news in all this is that it has also shed some light on focus related issues that have been stalling our attempts to get even a beta of the Linux version ready.

We're still chipping away at this.

Rick P.

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
Is there any update on the official release?  It is now March and we have not heard anything.  Do we need to look at other products instead?

Rick P.

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
Is anybody from SlickEdit even following this thread?

wsappington

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
There have been multiple claims since about October last year of not getting notified of new posts but that excuse is getting old.  The fact that they either haven't fixed the notifications or can't simply check for new posts every couple of days speaks volumes.  Two months of dead silence since the last update is not a sign of a company that's interested in communicating with its users.  And "still chipping away" at a release that's a year and 3 months late doesn't indicate much commitment to the product either. 

In response to the question about needing to look at other products, I already am.  I've been demoing a trial version of IntelliJ's IDEA and I like it so far.  It's not an Eclipse plugin, but I can use it for the heavy editing chores and use bare Eclipse (which our group has standardized on) for debugging and group standard stuff.  That's how I'm doing it now with the SE base product because I've lost too much work due to Core's instability on Juno.

I've already let my base product support lapse and Core is giving me the nag screen about my upcoming license renewal, which I will not do unless there's something concrete by then.  Slickedit has not given me my money's worth this last year, forcing me to either use Core in an outdated version of Eclipse (Indigo) or use it in a productivity-killing, unstable configuration with Juno, and still charging me $100 for the privilege of using an out-of-date or unstable product.  I'm not going to put good money after bad, I'll put it toward another product instead.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Not to be a "me too", but ++ on SE's (apparent) inability to monitor this forum.  I don't care one whit about the SE Core for Eclipse, but I do care about the editor and the company enough to subscribe to a global (to the forum) RSS feed.  (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss)  I recommend adding the limit argument: (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss;limit=25).  That means I see a link to every post from every forum, including the spam, which has finally been cleaned up (thanks, Slickteam) and topics I'm not as interested in.  If I can do that, at least one SE team member should be able to do that, too.

wsappington

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
I still get email notifications about posts to this thread and have been all along, so things can't be that broken.  I'd hate to think they're just not interested, but from the outside looking in, that sure is how it looks.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
We are still interested, but (like everyone posting here) we're also a bit frustrated. Frankly, we got blindsided by the complications that arose with GTK and its impact on mouse and keyboard focus. These are problems that we solved in the codebase for the desktop standalone product, but merging those changes and fixes into the Core for Eclipse product has not been as simple as an "svn merge".

As things stand now, we're done with the code for the Windows platform, and we're still working through the focus issues on the Linux side, but a lot of progress has been made there this week.

Rick P.

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
Matthew, thanks for replying.  I am assuming SlickEdit will release the Windows version now and then the Linux version once all is fixed with it.  Is this correct?

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
The GTK focus issue on the Linux version's UI was 99% resolved yesterday, and there are only a couple small corner cases left to fix on Linux, so our plan right now is to have both platforms released at the same time. (The changes we made to address the Linux issues may impact Windows, so we have to go back and double-check Windows for any side effects of those changes)

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
The latest beta builds are now available, for both Windows and Linux. I posted a sticky topic to this forum. The URL to use for the download is https://customer.slickedit.com/update/secore/kepler_beta

Thanks everyone for your patience with this. We still have a couple areas where there are focus behavior issues on the Linux platform, and there are some improvements we want to make in disabling SlickEdit-only editor commands when a non-SlickEdit editor is active. Our goal is to have the "Gold" release available in the middle of May.