Author Topic: "error reading file" that every other editor can read?  (Read 4196 times)

Margaret

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
"error reading file" that every other editor can read?
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm trying to edit an .osm file (which is xml text).  I can load it in nedit under freebsd, and in wordpad under xp.  Ee and notepad are willing to load it, but it's too large (~4GB). 

Slickedit v9 gives me a read error.

Removing lines from the middle of the file eventually makes it readable by slick, but it can't be a matter of size, because I've successfully loaded and edited larger files, and I've even tried telling it to only load a chunk at a time.  So there must be some char in there that it doesn't like, but I haven't found anything in the docs about chars or sequences that get it so confused and upset that it won't read a file.   

Anyone have any ideas about what might be bothering it?  I'm fresh out.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: "error reading file" that every other editor can read?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
Once you get the file open, you could select fundamental mode  -  in the document menu use Select Mode->fundamental to see if turning off xml parsing helps.  Slick will remember the mode you select so you could then close the file and open the real file.
Also, see this.
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=454.0

Margaret

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »
The problem is getting the file open.  :(  I've tried everything I can think of.  It seems quite unreasonable that less-capable editors have no problem, but slick can't do it at all.

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
You could temporarily rename the file to temp.txt, create a small text file of the actual name, open it, set the mode, close it, rename temp.txt back to its real name.

You could try the latest version of slickedit to see if it has the same problem.

What exactly is the "read error" the slick gives you?  Can you post the exact error mesage?

Margaret

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
The error msg is just "error reading file" down on the status bar.

I tried the file-rename trick, but it didn't work.  I suspected that it might not, because the extension is .osm not .xml, so there's no reason for slick to suspect it's xml til it looks at the contents.

I've also tried inserting the file, but it fails with the same error.

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
Actually I just remembered that SlickEdit support for files greater than 2GB arrived only with the latest version 18.