Author Topic: In-file template  (Read 6347 times)

yakir

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
In-file template
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:56:37 AM »
How can I create and use an in-file template, i.e. one that inserts into current file (e.g. procedure template) ?
Where is this documented ?

jbhurst

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 33
Re: In-file template
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
Hi yakir,

Have you tried Aliases?

Sounds like they are what you're after.

Aliases can be used for common strings such as file/path names (for faster filesystem navigation). But they can also expand to full code templates, along with prompted parameters and other features.

You can find them documented in the help system, or else simply try Tools | Options | Aliases and look at some examples.

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »
On the other hand it would be nice if the 'template' feature could be unified to work in files too.
Aliases are very useful for completing 'smaller' snippets of course.

HS2

yakir

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
Thanks to all.
BTW - Is it just me or is it difficult to find documentation when and where you need it (or elsewhere).
This applies especially to macros and programming.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »
We plan to unify aliases and the code template feature as soon as we can. In the meantime, John is right that aliases are the way to go.

We've got some major improvements in the documentation for v12. So hopefully, it will be easier for you to find things very soon.

--Scott

Lisa

• Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
Thanks to all.
BTW - Is it just me or is it difficult to find documentation when and where you need it (or elsewhere).
This applies especially to macros and programming.

We've made a lot of improvements to the docs in the upcoming release (which you can see in the beta version). After looking at that (because the changes are so considerable), please feel free to suggest specific index terms you think would be more useful for the topics you're trying to find. You can e-mail any and all doc feedback and suggestions to docs@slickedit.com.

-Lisa

mikesart

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
Just in case you haven't seen it, be sure to read this about aliases.

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=242.0

Aliases are much cooler than the docs indicate. Took a bit of poking around in alias.e before I found that out. And, of course, _after_ I knew what I was looking for I found that thread above.