Author Topic: How can I wait untill a concurrent_command is finished?  (Read 5545 times)

Magnus

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How can I wait untill a concurrent_command is finished?
« on: January 26, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »
I would like to make a call to an external application that converts a file, and the text returned from the application would I like to send to output or build window and when the conversion is complete do I want to open the file in a new editor window. But yet have I not been able to do this, if I use shell instead I got it to work but then I get no message to the build window.
/Magnus

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: How can I wait untill a concurrent_command is finished?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
I would like to make a call to an external application that converts a file, and the text returned from the application would I like to send to output or build window and when the conversion is complete do I want to open the file in a new editor window. But yet have I not been able to do this, if I use shell instead I got it to work but then I get no message to the build window.
/Magnus

When you say "shell" do you mean the shell() function provided by Slickedit.

This thread might help you get access to the build window.
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=645.0

You probably saw this thread about sending a "command" back to the build window
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=819.0

You can also "send" information to slickedit from a batch file like this
start L:\Apps\vslick\win\vs.exe "-# SomeSlickCommand arg1"

On my system, if Slick is already running, the macro SomeSlickCommand gets invoked and is passed an argument of arg1.  If slick is not already running it's run and the macro gets executed.  If you have two instances of slick running, I don't know which instance will get used.  See also -p and -r under "Invocation options" in the help.

If you're on Windows you can also send information to slick using DDE - I haven't tried it lately though.

Graeme