Author Topic: How do you use SlickEdit?  (Read 21160 times)

jjones

How do you use SlickEdit?
« on: January 26, 2007, 06:11:14 PM »
Have you created the hottest new game on the market? Worked on a lunar lander? Developed any of the coolest new technologies on the market today? We want to know.

Describe or share a weird, unconventional or interesting application you or a colleague have developed (created) using SlickEdit.

Remember, if it's top secret, we don't want to know!  ;D

-- Jason
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:45:49 PM by Jason »

mikesart

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
Re: How do you use SlickEdit?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
3D Software renderer. Which I'm guessing might just be less common right now than lunar lander software...

http://www.radgametools.com/pixomain.htm

Caveat: I'm just answering the question - not trying advertise. If you were in the market for a software renderer I'm guessing you already knew about this, and if you're not then you most likely couldn't care less.
 -Mike

DaveyC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »
Nothing so cool as graphics rendering or lunar landers!

I work for an ISV who develop systems management software for IBM on the z/OS platform.  The beauty of SlickEdit is
the support for so many different languages. We code in C/C++, HLASM, REXX, Java and legacy languages such
as COBOL and PL/1. SlickEdits FTP client makes it a snack to develop on the PC, although there is a lot of FTP->tagging
(haven't got SMB running yet).

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Currently, I use slick to work on various pieces of DNS software. Some of which control a good chunk of the DNS infrastructure of the internet. Guess that may count as exciting.

In a previous life, I used Slick to work on ticketing software for stadium, theaters, and other venues.

I'm also currently writing some shareware for OSX, though thats not released yet.

cecilchesser

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
I use SlickEdit to develop software that controls the hardware that probably tested the cpu in your pc. 
Long ago, I used SlickEdit to create train schedules for the light rail system in Puerto Rico.

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 07:06:14 PM »
3D Software renderer. Which I'm guessing might just be less common right now than lunar lander software...

Small world, I've used it during my employee stint in a GIS company, and now as a contractor where I'm just finishing up a stint on Autodesk 3DS Max.

And I was (am?) such a fanboy of Abrash :)

karsten.burger

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
Hi,

I'm developing image analysis and system software for X-ray scanners: we scan luggage e.g. at airports and search various threat explosives.

We develop mostly with C++

Have you created the hottest new game on the market? Worked on a lunar lander? Developed any of the coolest new technologies on the market today? We want to know.

-- Jason

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
I'm developing 'test and measurement systems for mobile communications' ... awfully boring, right ?
In the past I worked on systems verifying protocol stack and physical parameter compliance of base stations and mobiles.
Probably the protocol part of the SW running on your GSM/UMTS phone or Bluetooth headset was tested with such a system.
Since a while I'm developing systems for coverage measurements of wireless networks.
These are used by network providers e.g. to avoid 'no network' situations.

I mostly did and do embedded/driver/system related work using C/C++ and a bit ASM for various host and target platforms.
So it was just a question of time that I ended up using 'SlickEdit - The most versatile IDE in the world' !

HS2

@Karsten: 'Smith Heilmann GmbH' - I guess ;)

Dave_Sinkula

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:42:08 AM »
Over several years...
  • RF remote control and receiver used to control a gas fireplace
  • Audio streaming device with USB interface (PC to your home stereo)
  • USB data acquisition device for patient monitoring system
  • SNMP serial gateway
  • Wireless remote-controlled window operator
  • Transmitter/receiver for multi-channel infrared stereo headphones
  • Remote-monitoring device used with water softeners
  • Water softener product families
  • Plus there have been various quick-and-dirty (roll it in a day or so) PC apps to communicate with the devices being developed, from either the serial or parallel port.
  • And countless little learn-the-language test programs.
[I had to do some digging for an old thread elseweb.]

jchick

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
SlickEdit has been my main editor for more than a decade.

• Audit Software
  • E-Commerce Sites
  • Hunderds of perl scripts
  • Datawarehouse SQL Code

I'd say SlickEdit has been at the center of my entire career, might as well just post my CV

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
I use it for printouts of VB6 code (not as the main editor, as it doesn't handle VB6 symbols nicely).  For straight coding (not testing & debugging), it's a good VB editor, so I use it in head-down mode. We're developing rating software for insurance companies.

I develop Java apps for PCs & Macs to time / score road races.

I develop .php pages using Slick & Dreamweaver in tandem.  (DW does the site connection nicely, SlickEdit handles the php code better.)  This is for running-related web sites.  The fact that each recognizes that the file has been altered by "outside programs" makes the switch-over as clean as can be.

I use it for it's Regex search (& replace) functions when I have to deal with strange (new to us) file formats & I need specific data, or to convert to a format I don't have a file filter for.

jfoell

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 05:41:15 PM »
Who are you? My name is Jake,
I work for a Tier2 supplier to the automotive industry.  My company develops chassis controllers (ABS, TCS, ESC, etc.)

How do you use SE?
I personally use SE to modify and calibrate the ECU software for Traction Control (TCS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC).  Most recognizable projects are (will be) 2008 Hummer H2 and H3 Traction Control.

What language?  Most of the work I do is using C.
What compiler/other tools?  The compiler I use is supplied by the microprocessor manufacturer.
What OS? Windows XP

SE SEniority?
I have been an SE user for about one year (v10).
Favorite SE feature? Selective Display
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:46:45 PM by jfoell »

cycloptic

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »
The following are some of the uses I have for SlickEdit:

- Creation of SqlServer administration and data scrubbing scripts

- Scrubbing of Verity full text search index files

- Creation of shell scripts operating on a list of files

- Browsing code created by my colleagues

- Viewing Verity and IIS logfiles that are too large for notepad or whose line endings are not compatible

- Viewing and light editing of Visual Basic 6 code

- Occasional editing of C# and VB.NET projects

- Maintaining a few classic ASP websites that I am responsible for

- Dabbling with the code of computer languages that I am learning (python, ruby, etc)

- Preparing text documents for conversion to palmdoc or lit formated ebooks for my PDA

- Scrubbing Media Player playlists

- Creating macros and aliases to support some of these fore-mentioned activities as needed

cycloptic

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Even one of the (driver) experts @ Microsoft uses SE instead of VS :)
http://blogs.msdn.com/doronh/archive/2007/06/25/user-empathy-is-a-weird-thing.aspx

HS2

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
I can't remember where I heard this, or if it is really true, but I recall back in the day (about 10 years ago) Microsoft supposedly had thousands of licenses for Visual SlickEdit, and the entire NT kernel team used it. I don't suppose that is the case any more. Anyone know if this was a true story?

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand