Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SlickEdit® / Re: v22 memory leak?
« Last post by IkerAriz on Today at 07:26:17 pm »
Any other options I can pursue to help find the problem?

SlickEdit® / AccuRev support?
« Last post by b on Today at 03:55:32 pm »
New job new tools.   This site uses AccuRev, but I don't see that SE supports it.  Has this ever made it onto the roadmap?  Last I saw references were back in 2007 and 2010. 
SlickEdit® / Re: v22 memory leak?
« Last post by Dennis on Today at 02:42:51 pm »
Sorry, there's nothing built in that would provide any really helpful information.  We do have some allocator stats that we occasionally use in debug and unit test builds internally, but they would just provide some stats, nothing of help for tracing down where the memory is going primarily.
SlickEdit® / Re: v22 memory leak?
« Last post by IkerAriz on Today at 01:10:23 pm »
Thanks for the follow up Dennis.

Any way to collect additional memory info during my tests? Eg, are there any diagnostic commands that can print the SE cache sizes and and/or allocator stats? (perhaps via a custom build?)

Thanks again,

P.S. BTW, the minimap command just toggles the zoom (I didn't use it during my tests). Here's the code:

Code: [Select]
int minimap_on = 0;
_command void minimap_toggle () name_info(',') {
   if (minimap_on) {
       minimap_on = 0;
   else {
      minimap_on = 1;

SlickEdit® / Re: v22 memory leak?
« Last post by Dennis on Today at 12:43:14 am »
OK.  I've spent about a half week on this.  Good news and bad news.

1 - Good news)  I've identified, found and fixed a few memory leaks.  These fixes will be incorporated into the next release.

2 - Bad news - or Jedi mind trick)  These are not the leaks you are looking for.  It is unlikely that what I found is what brought our SlickEdit memory footprint up to 2G.  They were small leaks.

3 - resizing and drawing)  Not leaks.  We have a fairly significant line drawing cache.  You are merely filling up the cache.  The test project has a bit over 6000 lines of code, the cache holds 20000 lines before it fills and purges.  This is just using memory, not leaking it.

4 - delete and undo)  I did not observe a significant memory increase here, and the memory leak tracking software did not identify anything as leaked as a result of this test.

5 - searching) same story, yes, first time use of a feature can uptick memory somewhat, when the form is loaded the first time, etc, but no definitive leaks identified.

6 - segmenting)  We have a our own memory allocator for speed.  Like any allocator, it can fall victim to some segmenting depending on usage patterns.  Some of the memory growth you see could be segmenting, well, it will appear as growth initially, but once there is enough memory in use, the growth will level off entirely.  Note, this can happen with the system malloc() too, so there is nothing particularly wrong with our allocator, it's just faster than malloc.

7 - scrolling) see (3)

8 - caches) we have a lot of caches.  Tagging especially has a lot of caching going on.  It is one of the few things that gives you some limited control over the caches, yet, even there, there are some caches that will just grow as needed.  You can't make a setting for everything.  I have suggested ways to cut back the tagging cache earlier in this thread.

9 - your config)  You were loading a mini-map tool that I did not have access to.  Hence, this did not factor into any of my testing.

Hope this helps.  I'm still digging around for leaks, as I work.  Maybe something will surface eventually.
General Programming / Re: C++ build system for Linux
« Last post by ebbe on June 18, 2018, 02:06:48 pm »
We use CMake ( around here. Fairly steep learning curve but nowhere near as bad as automake  :)
General Programming / C++ build system for Linux
« Last post by Graeme on June 18, 2018, 09:56:28 am »
Can anyone recommend a build system for a C++ project on Linux.  We'll be running CentOS Linux inside vmware on Windows 7 and building for embedded Linux on an ARM target.  For testing, we want to build for a CentOS target too.  It doesn't have to be free and it can't be slickedit as no-one else uses slickedit here.
SlickEdit® / Re: project-build stop working.
« Last post by Mike_1 on June 18, 2018, 02:36:19 am »
Thank you all for quick response.
The company uses McAfee tools, I will ask IT guys to solve this problem.
The tag file associated with that ghost entry no longer exists because the 1st time I selected the tag in the list and then clicked “remove tage file” button, it deleted the tag file from disk too and that is when the tag entry became greyed-out with a red dot and became unremoveable from the tag window list
SlickEdit® / Re: Window ordering with CTRL + Tab
« Last post by davehohl on June 15, 2018, 09:16:22 pm »
MrPolite, you might want to reward stzari with a thumbs-up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10