Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
SlickEdit® / Re: Trying to open multiple files per window
« Last post by Graeme on December 10, 2018, 10:21:18 am »
Ah, thanks for pointing that out.  I don't use tiling but tiling doesn't work if you have "one file per window" because it creates a tiny window for every open file you have when you do a tile command.  If you want to be able to use the tiling commands in the window menu you have to have "multiple files per window" selected.  Thanks!
« Last post by dunkers on December 10, 2018, 09:42:11 am »
It's not a split window, it's two windows tiled. Don't know if that makes any difference but to a pedant it's important :)

Although I am not a fan of tabs in general (I prefer a new browser window instead of many tabs, for instance) I do appreciate having a couple of tabs per window too, to keep track of which few files I'm viewing in the dual viewports. it's much simpler than selecting from the tab bar (which tends to fill with files and become pretty useless in short order) or the open files dropdown, and acts as a kind of sub-selection for that window.
« Last post by Graeme on December 10, 2018, 08:12:22 am »
Also there's a kind of benefit to having multiple tabs showing which is that if you select a sort order of "recently viewed", the left most tab is always the currently viewed tab and left to right is the files in the order you last viewed them. next-buff-tab then alternates between the last two files you looked at.
« Last post by Graeme on December 10, 2018, 07:52:22 am »
Just wondering, why do you use the multiple files share window option?

I like to have two windows side by side. In one I usually edit, in the other I usually refer (though that can change). I don't ever worry about rearranging windows because they never move, never have to look through a zillion tabs for the file I want, etc. The GUI is always the same, so therefore below my radar and all my concentration is on the actual file contents, rather than the mechanics of displaying them.

Have to say that if ever SE removes this multi-files per window feature I won't be upgrading any more.

I still don't understand.  Assuming you have a split window, AFAICS, the only difference between "multi files per window" and "one file per window" is whether each edit window shows lots of tabs or one tab only (when you're in split screen mode)  - which is why no-one can ever understand what this configuration option actually does.  Just because there are lots of tabs showing doesn't mean you have to use them to select a file  - you can still select a file by however you do it when there's only one tab showing.  As Mike said in the beginning <quote> It might help to think of Tabs = Windows </>  - but no-one is going to equate a Tab with a Window.  "Multi-files per window" is nothing to do with being able to have a split window  - you can still have a split window when you have "one file per window" selected.

I hardly ever use split window mode because in most of the code I work with there is quite often long lines and I use a kind of large font - Consolas Bold 13.
« Last post by dunkers on December 10, 2018, 05:08:51 am »

I like to have two windows side by side. In one I usually edit, in the other I usually refer (though that can change). I don't ever worry about rearranging windows because they never move, never have to look through a zillion tabs for the file I want, etc. The GUI is always the same, so therefore below my radar and all my concentration is on the actual file contents, rather than the mechanics of displaying them.

Have to say that if ever SE removes this multi-files per window feature I won't be upgrading any more.
SlickEdit® / Re: Is anyone using SlickEdit to build/debug Xilinx Zynq apps?
« Last post by RallyTronics on December 10, 2018, 04:40:32 am »
So i have been trying to get this up and going for a week or so now, and no matter what I do I can't get the project to link without error.  Do you think it's possible to do a Zynq build using "Build without a makefile" cross platform project type?  I don't have much experience with gcc/g++ but the linker seems very finicky. 

SlickEdit® / Re: How to integrate SE with my public GitHub repository?
« Last post by Clark on December 09, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »
If you don't already have a local repository, here are some docs I found for cloning a git repository from GitHub:

https://help.github.com/articles/cloning-a-repository/
« Last post by Graeme on December 09, 2018, 05:05:03 am »
I don't understand (nothing unusual).  Like you I don't use doc tabs and I almost always have more files open than can be shown  - plus I have my own files tool-window with single click.  Now I just discovered there is a config option called "zoom (hide tabs) when one window" that I didn't know about - mine is set to auto.

I almost always hide all buffer tabs using zoom-toggle.  If I change "files per window" to "multiple files share window" I don't see any difference in behaviour from "one file per window".

It seems that the "files per window" setting matters only when doc tabs are visible and it then selects between "one doc tab" or "all doc tabs".  - However, now I see that if there is a split window, the doc tabs are always shown (you can't turn them off with zoom toggle) so now you have to have "files per window" set to "multiple files share window" to stop lots of doc tabs appearing.  If that's all it does, maybe the "files per window" option could be called "Number of visible doc tabs"  -  none, one or all.
« Last post by Clark on December 08, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »
I’m used to working this way. The tabs don’t buy me anything because I typically have more files open than will fit. I tried switching but didn’t like it as much.
« Last post by Graeme on December 08, 2018, 08:22:56 pm »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10