Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SlickEdit® / Re: Slickedit gray-scales my bitmaps
« Last post by Graeme on Today at 10:14:58 am »
Could you send your bitmaps and macros into support.  I will try it out and find out what is going on.  Are your icons .svg, .ico, .png, or .bmp ?

What color scheme are you using?  (Tools > Options > Appearance > Tool Window and Toolbar Options > Tool Buttons and Icons > Style.  The only style that applies a monochrome filter is, in fact, "Monochrome".

It will be the weekend before I can get my macros and bitmaps together for you.  In the meantime, you can reproduce the effect that I think is messing up my bitmaps as follows.  The attached bitmap shows before gray scaling (darkening) on the left and after on the right.  You can see the one on the right has been darkened.  I ran slick V22.0.2 on a new empty config folder.  Cancel out of quick start.  Go into options and change style "default low colour" to "colour". Exit options.  Now go and add a new icon to the toolbar at the top - then change the icon to _bh_workspace.ico from slick V20.0.3 bitmaps folder.  When the new bitmap appears on the toolbar it is darker than the original _bh_workspace.ico as shown in "Paint".  I'm guessing (don't know for sure) that this is what is messing up my own icons which are currently png  - it makes no difference if I use bitmaps though.  The effect on the two toolbars I have is a mass of little gray squares that shouldn't be there  - as shown in this post,15559.msg59255.html#msg59255

Also you'll notice that I said the problem was gone in RC2,15559.msg59806.html#msg59806
but I think it was back in the final V22 release and I managed to overcome it by un-loading my loaded bitmaps (don't remember how I did that - probably by wiping my config) then fiddling with the color style setting somehow and reloading my bitmaps.
SlickEdit® / Re: Slickedit gray-scales my bitmaps
« Last post by rgloden on Today at 04:37:18 am »
Not to pile on ... but I am also disappointed in the new icons ...

Definitely does not "Wow" new users that I demo SlickEdit too ...
SlickEdit® / Re: Old SlickEdit before Visual Slick Edit
« Last post by tenox on March 20, 2018, 11:09:53 pm »
If you have the source code why won't you release it as OpenSource? It's not like this would impede the existing product, which is a completely different code base if I understand correctly. Or alternatively if not open-source then at least release it as as freeware or even a non-supported product? Myself and other developers would surely volunteer to make a release/build from the old source code.
« Last post by Dan on March 20, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »
There is a name for software that exists but the source code no longer exists (this is true of some of the old video games), but I can't remember what it is.  The concept intrigued me.  Some of these games they made "classic" versions of, and had to start over because the original source was lost.

In this case I think we have the source code but no redistributable software.
« Last post by jbhurst on March 20, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
Hi Dan (& others).

I'm an occasional lurker these days. I still have SlickEdit installed, though not using it much. :-(

Fascinating to hear about those old versions. I went through the IBM Personal Editor -> E -> E2 -> E3 -> EPM route to SlickEdit myself, if I remember right and if anyone else remembers those. Personal Editor was an IBM product for the original PC. (by Jim Wylie? How is my memory?) The 'E' line of editors were "internal use" at IBM, developed by Clark Maurer, who started SlickEdit. All text mode until EPM (E for OS/2 Presentation Manager).

Sadly, when I moved house a little over a year ago, the 3.5" floppies went in the bin. I think there were some of those old 'E' editors on them, among some other early IBM treasures.

John Hurst
SlickEdit® / No trial licenses anymore?
« Last post by spl757 on March 20, 2018, 01:34:30 pm »
I am trying to install as a trial, but when trying to request a trial key I am just taken to a page to purchase the product. Is there no longer a trial?
« Last post by Dan on March 20, 2018, 12:03:00 pm »
I wouldn't know where to start honestly.  Also, the old Unix versions came in some strange formats (one came on DAT tape, one came on 1/4" tape - I never even saw one of those before I worked here and haven't seen on in many years).

There are a few copies on eBay and a few copies of the book that was written by John Hurst.  John used to be a regular here, but I'm not sure if he still is.
« Last post by tenox on March 20, 2018, 08:02:35 am »
That I don't know if we can come up with.  If we had it, it would be on 3.5" floppy disk, and there was a pretty big purge of this sort of thing before the last time the office moved (although I'm not sure we had it then).

Early versions of Visual SlickEdit were on NT Alpha and NT Mips too.  Also eventually a 64-bit version for the Alpha UNIX version (DEC Ultrix?).  I have no idea if these exist.

Perhaps you could ask around? Maybe someone kept a disk or two and wants to sell it.
SlickEdit® / Re: "Expecting close parenthesis" in vim mode / search
« Last post by Clark on March 19, 2018, 03:58:48 pm »
SlickEdit VIM emulation defaults to Perl syntax. It's modern but not the same as VIM.

I'm surprised this has never come up before. There have been a ton of other VIM issues (customer requests) which we have taken care of.

Just curious, does your college know Perl syntax regular expressions?

SlickEdit® / Re: Debugging slickedit: Can't get there...
« Last post by Dan on March 19, 2018, 03:51:53 pm »
@jporkkahtc you can email me directly unless you're looking for a customization.  I am presently deep into the diff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10