Author Topic: list-tags window doesn't keep sort-order  (Read 1827 times)

jnairb

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
list-tags window doesn't keep sort-order
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »
I've seen this problem several times through the beta, but couldn't consistently recreate it, but I finally found the right sequence.

If I run list-tags with a file containing member functions, the tags window has two columns and the (empty) header of the left column can be clicked to sort the functions either ascending or descending order. I prefer this sorted A-Z and normally it remembers this sort order so that when I run list-tags again, the order is the same.

But now, if I open a file that does not contain any member functions -- just normal C-style functions -- and run list-tags, the tags window has just a single column and no way to sort (that's OK with me... it sorted in A-Z which is what I want). Select any function from the window and press Enter and the tags window is closed.

Now go back to the first file with member functions. Running list-tags gives me the two-column version of the tags window and the left column is now sorted Z-A instead and I have to click the column header to go back to the A-Z order.

** Update: I didn't expect it to be any different with the final release, but I did just install that now and confirm the problem still exists.

SlickEdit 2014 (v19.0.0.14 64-bit)

Serial number: FE11502_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2014-11-20 05:01:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\19\slickedit.lic

Build Date: November 06, 2014
Emulation: Brief

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 48% Load, 3963MB/8150MB Physical, 3906MB/16298MB Page File, 400MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1200

Project Type: ISeries Slic
Language: .C (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: c:\Program Files\SlickEdit\beta\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,127494MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\bej\SlickEdit\19.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,127494MB free)
Spill File: C:\Users\bej\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.8344 (non-removable drive,NTFS,127494MB free)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:40:42 pm by jnairb »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 410
Re: list-tags window doesn't keep sort-order
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
I'm going to add some fixes to list-tags to the first hot fix for v19.  I could not reproduce the problem you had with column sort order.  The tree control used by the list-tags command remembers the last column sort order, so there is a possibility that you had clicked on it to sort by class at some point.  I am adding in the column headers, and also enabling a search combo-box on the dialog so that you can type a prefix in order to quickly find a tag you are trying to jump to.

jnairb

• Hero Points: 11
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:15:06 pm »
Maybe it's some setting, but I can still reproduce this easily on two separate systems. I created two files.
f1.c:
Code: [Select]
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
}
and f2.C:
Code: [Select]
class F2
{
private:
   int   a;
   char  b;

public:

int func1();
   char func2();
};

int F2::func1()
{
   return a;
}

int F2::func2()
{
   return b;
}

In f2.C, run list-tags. I see tags listed in order A-Z.
Switch to f1.c and run list-tags. Press enter to select/goto main function.
Switch back to f2.C and run list-tags and tags are now in the reverse order.

I hope your changes fix it, but it would be nice if could reproduce and confirm that it's fixed. I may have at some point in the past clicked on the class column header to sort on that (months ago), but it wasn't sorted on that when I had the problem -- I had clicked on the function header to sort on that because I had found it out of order and then after going back to the previous file where I'd used list-tags, I figured it out and reproduced it by doing the steps I mentioned.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 410
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:10 pm »
That helped me reproduce the problem.  Will be fixed in the next hot fix.