Author Topic: can't do file save as in floating edit window  (Read 471 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 314
can't do file save as in floating edit window
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:55:23 am »
If I have a file open in a floating edit window, there's no way to do "save as".  I have to move the file to the main window.  Maybe the file tab menu should have a "save as" option.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 409
Re: can't do file save as in floating edit window
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:21:41 pm »
Type "gui-save-as" on the SlickEdit command line on that floating MDI window. That will work.

On Windows and Unix: Alt+F A will also work if you have alt menu hot keys turned on.

On Windows: Clicking on the Save As menu item with the mouse also works.

macOS: The default emulation (macOS) doesn't have or support alt menu hot keys. If you chose CUA emulation and turn on alt menu hot keys, then you can press Command+F and cursor to the Save As menu item (macOS doesn't support hot key letters-- IMO macOS flaw).

Graeme

• Hero Points: 314
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:58:17 am »
Thanks, it was Linux.  I've found that slick sometimes gets the right file and sometimes not.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 179
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:51 pm »
Probably the best long term solution is for the floating windows to be promoted to first class top level windows, with a menu bar and everything.
Otherwise it seems like there will be endless problems trying to get focus handled correctly in so many different ways.

As a bonus it would be easier for users to switch between these windows, using alt-tab, and each could have their own independent tab ordering.