Author Topic: 2008 Message List problem  (Read 4700 times)

Boilerbuzz

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
2008 Message List problem
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:11:15 pm »
I'm not seeing anything in this window.  Normal "goto error" functionality works.  So why doesn't this work?  Where can I go to get answers?

Yes, I'm new. :)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: 2008 Message List problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:48 pm »
You can get answers here or from support, but in either case you'll need to provide more information. Provide the information from Help > About SlickEdit, the language you are working in the, the steps you performed, and a description of what happened.

That should get things started!

Nathan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06:33 pm »
Hey Boilerbuzz.

Interesting that there's nothing in the message list. If next-error and prev-error work, something should have been put into the message list. Are you getting little icons in the gutter when you go to the errors? If the icons are getting placed messages are being created.

Could you provide a little info about the kind of workspace you're using? Is it an SE workspace, or something else (.NET, makefile, etc.)? Is the code in C/C++ or something else? This is unlikely, but are the tools providing errors and warnings in a language other than English? (shouldn't matter if the error navigation is working ... but I'm curious).

I'm not seeing anything in this window.  Normal "goto error" functionality works.  So why doesn't this work?  Where can I go to get answers?

Yes, I'm new. :)

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:35:32 pm »
See this thread:  http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3157.0 for a workaround.  I don't know if the previously described issue is supposed to be fixed yet or not but the workaround seemed to work for me.

Good luck
Les

Boilerbuzz

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:28:15 am »
OK.  We use a custom compiler with MS Visual C++ compiler backend.  So, the language is basically C++.  My project is setup to build using a batch file.  I do NOT integrate Visual Studio.  I hope that helps.

As I as, the next-error/prev-error functionality works fine.  One more thing: the batch file issues an exit command when the build is done.

UPDATE: The workaround works.  IF I use the Project Build command and IF I don't run my batch file from the command prompt in the Build window.
Shouldn't this just work regardless of whether I use "Build" or "Compile"?  Another issue: my message list filter goes away if I double click on an entry.  I assume this isn't by design.  And how can I automatically filter the types I wish to see?  Right now, I only want to see 'warnings' and 'errors'.  But I get lines if '(Info)' as well....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:10:29 pm by Boilerbuzz »