Author Topic: SlickEdit Crash  (Read 3260 times)

Peter Steinberg

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 14
  • Hero Points: 2
SlickEdit Crash
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »
I have a text file that has around 600 lines that look like C function definitions, i.e. each line looks like
   word word () {

If I edit it as a C/C++ project type and try to delete a line I get an crash:
  The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x0382e2e7

My guess is something in the brace checking / matching code is failing badly.

Peter

SlickEdit Version 14.0.2.2
  Build Date: July 08, 2009
  Emulation: Brief
  OS: Windows XP
  Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
  Memory: 51% Load, 1079MB/2094MB Physical, 158MB/2097MB Virtual
  Screen Size: 1920 x 1440
Project Type:
Language: *.c (C/C++)
Hotfixes:
  c:\vslick\config\14.0.2\hotfixes\hotfix_loader_se1402.zip (Revision: 1)
  c:\vslick\config\14.0.2\hotfixes\hotfix_se1402_cumulative.zip (Revision: 14)

Lee

  • SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1299
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: SlickEdit Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:25 pm »
I've confirmed this crash.  It's not paren match that is causing the crash, looks like a stack overflow while trying to tag this is as a C++ file.  That line looks like a function definition signature to the tagging parser, so it's trying to parse it like one.  This section of the parser is recursive, so after a couple hundred recursions, it fails.  We are looking into a fix and solution.

If this isn't a real C++ file, then I'd suggest working in a different document mode like Plain Text for the time being.  If you need color coding then you can set up a custom Language mode and set the lexer to use the CPP one.   If this is supposed to be C++, then you are doing it wrong.   :(

If it isn't C++, what exactly did you need from C++ document mode?


Peter Steinberg

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 14
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: SlickEdit Crash
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
It's a quick extraction of some function headers from a C project that I inherited and am cleaning up.

Making a list of functions in a file and using the Push-Tag and Pop-Tag functions lets me quickly jump to the functions to see what's going on, and those functions work much nicer if I'm working in a C-type file.

Once I figured out why the error occurred it was simple to change to a text mode file, clean up the parens and braces, and then switch back to a C-mode file.

I just don't like mysterious application crashes.

evanratt

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 300
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: SlickEdit Crash
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »
Just a thought... you may want to try using selective display on the original file and just show 'function headers'. Then you can open and close the function body as needed to see what's going on. It may give you a similar effect to what you're doing now, but you'll be working in a valid C++ file, that way.

Again, just a thought of another strategy...

-Evan