Author Topic: Find In Files not opening new editor window  (Read 2549 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Find In Files not opening new editor window
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:37 pm »
I just did a Find In Files for a function.  It brought up a number of hits so I wanted to look at the source code in X.c and look at a define the function uses.  So I double-clicked on the line in X.c and a new window opened to the line I selected.  I then did a search on the define that the function used and found the file that it was declared in so I double-clicked on the line to view it in the file.  However, instead of opening a new window, it reused the window that X.c was displayed in and threw X.c away.  Since the search for the line in X.c went through about 1,050 files (and I didn't pay attention to the name of X.c), it will take a few minutes to repeat the search to find X.c again, and when I double-click the line, the other file will be thrown away.

In a small project, this is a nuisance.  In a project of thousands of files over hundreds of folders, it's unusable.

How do I get the Search Results window to open a new window every time I want to look at a new file?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 501
Re: Find In Files not opening new editor window
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »
The simple way to change this is to turn off "Automatically close visited files". I think this is what you want.  Options>Editing>Bookmarks.  You could also create a new set of search results but then you would have to switch between your search results and reopen the previous file which isn't as convenient. There is no perfect solution to this. When close visited files is off, you end up with 100's of files open very quickly which can also become annoying.

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
Re: Find In Files not opening new editor window
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:50 pm »
Thank you!  This is exactly what I want!