Author Topic: "Show in Windows Explorer"  (Read 5138 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
"Show in Windows Explorer"
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »
Is there a macro/command that I could setup to something like right-click on the currently edited file and then open up Windows Explorer to that file's folder location?

I'm not sure how possible that feature would be outside of windows/mac (Although I think there's an equivalent for the various linux gui's)  When I was developing on Linux I didn't have to deal with this at all, but back on Windows I find myself using this feature more and more from various other tools and keep finding myself trying to do the same on Slickedit but can't.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: "Show in Windows Explorer"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:21:32 PM »
There's nothing on the editor (or file tab) context menu right now, but you should be able to use the Tools > OS File Browser... menu (or the explore command on the SE command line) to open an Explorer window in that file's directory. And if there is no file open, it tries to open the file system browser to the current working directory.

If the command isn't working for a particular unix/linux flavor, let us know. The source of the explore command is in the macro source in the file dir.e.

skywise

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
"explore" works for me on Windows. Very cool.  It also opens up to the folder of the currently selected file - Am I right in assuming that that part is keyed to the "Set Current Directory when switching buffers" option?

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
Am I right in assuming that that part is keyed to the "Set Current Directory when switching buffers" option?

Yes, meaning whatever is reported when you execute the pwd command on the SE command line. Several things can change the SE working directory, like the "Sync current directory" option for the Open tool window, manually changing it with the cd command on the SE command line, or executing a cd in the build shell.

skywise

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
Thanks.

Does "explore" perform similarly on Linux/Mac (EG opening finder) or is that windows only?

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
It's implemented on all platforms. The Finder window is shown on the Mac. However, as you can imagine, the Linux/Unix variants are a bit more of an educated guess, based on the particular flavor of window manager. But the implementation is in Slick-C, so it's easy to tweak as needed.

On the Mac you can also use the "Proxy Icons" that show up the application title bar. If you Command+Click on them you'll get a drop-down menu with the file path hierarchy, which will open a Finder window at the directory level you've chosen. But you have to have the Appearance > Advanced > Always show full path in titlebar option set to OFF in order to see those Mac-standard proxy icons.