Author Topic: B3: Apparent access permission problems with Guest OS when tagging  (Read 1647 times)

davew

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
I am running Windows 7 and have a VirtualBox Guest OS which is Ubuntu 14.04. My source is on the Ubuntu OS and I have a drive mapped from Windows to the project folder. I am running SlickEdit in Windows 7. When I try to create a project and put the project files on the drive which is mapped to the Ubuntu mount (i.e. a Samba share), I get errors trying to write the vtg file I believe. Every write fails and I get no tags. I've seen read failures as well, but the last time I tried it, it was only write errors. I've attached the tagging.log file in tagging.7z. I stopped it before it was complete, but there is enough there to see what's happening.

Here are some points to consider:
1. If I put the project files on my C drive, it works (even though the source files being tagged are on the mapped drive)
2. If I use SlickeEdit 20, it works even if I put the project files on the mapped drive.
3. If I try to start SlickEdit 21 as Administrator, it doesn't even see the mapped drive.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: B3: Apparent access permission problems with Guest OS when tagging
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
Have you tried keeping your source on the Windows side and sharing folder through VirtualBox mount instead of the other way around via Samba?  If you are doing all the editing and tagging in Windows, it probably be more efficient to have things already on the host OS.  I will try to setup a test environment to see if I can replicate any of these issues.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:47 pm »
I'll also look into this.

As a workaround (and to confirm my suspicion), try the following.  Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > Use memory mapped files > OFF.  You will need to close SlickEdit and restart.

davew

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
@Lee, I haven't tried that, but it would probably be a difficult change the way my environment is set up. Also, SlickEdit 21 should handle this correctly since SE 20 does it right.

davew

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 01:08:24 pm »
@Dennis, I just tried what you suggested with the memory mapped files setting (restarting SE), and I still get the errors. :(

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
OK, well, at least that rules out the most likely problem.

Are you by any chance running SlickEdit 20 and SlickEdit 21 side-by-side.  You might be unintentionally locking version 21 out from writing to the tag file (because v20 has it locked).  Also make sure there are no stray or zombie instance of SlickEdit running that could be holding a lock on the tag file.

davew

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:28:47 pm »
TaskManager shows only one instance of vs.exe.

davew

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
Well, it appears that something was fixed as it is not happening in Beta5 :)

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 02:29:23 pm »
Great news.  I did put a fix in beta5.