Author Topic: Support for Brief, Unix regular expressions?  (Read 1952 times)

LouieM

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Support for Brief, Unix regular expressions?
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:38:12 AM »
Did you drop support for Brief and Unix/Linux RegEx?  I only see Pearl and SlickEdit filters.  Support for these is one of the main reasons why I've used SlickEdit since 2003.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Support for Brief, Unix regular expressions?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:04:10 AM »
​Support for Brief and Unix regex syntax was dropped in a prior release (don't remember which one). Sorry. We try not to drop features but this got out of hand (trying to support too many syntax).

Feel free to post a regex here that you need help converting.

Perl syntax has really become the standard. There are regular expression samples on-line that will now work in SlickEdit as is. Perl syntax is pretty close to SlickEdit's old Unix regular expression syntax. Be sure to use \R instead of \n to match a complete new-line sequence like <CR><LF>.

Both SlickEdit and Perl syntax regular expressions have the same features. If a feature is added to one, it will be added to the other as well.

There have been many enhancements and improvements to regular expressions. For example, SlickEdit regular expression support variable length look behind expressions which as far as I know isn't supported by any other product. We use this capability a fair amount in the new color coding support.