Author Topic: C++ dubugging winddbg attaching to proc.: timeouts &not displaying value for STL  (Read 1753 times)

xkx

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi Guys. Curious if a anyone observed or can comment on the following behavior/possible errors: (1) when  Debug--> Attach to WinDbg process is used, single  steps under debugger routinely triggers SlickEdit "Not responding" and SlickEdit's hanging for up to a few seconds. (2) When I look at the value of "const string strTest" variable SlickEdit displays type of the variable strModel instead of it's value. Here is the result of the copy & paste: strTst class std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >
This is displayed in debuggers’ window for Locals, in the window for Watches it complains “**Symbol evaluation time out”.
The behavior is the same for Beta and for the regular last version.
Environment is : Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.7.03056
Installed Version: Enterprise

Program I am attaching to is MS Excel 64bit that is using Dll also compiled as 64bit version in MS Visual Studio project. Interestingly enough when I manipulated paths for pdb using windbg-update-symbol-path, tried to change dbgeng.dll using “set-var def_windbg_path” and also changed path for dbg in the “Attach to Process (WinDbg)” I got normal behavior a couple of times, but can not get SlickEdit behaves constantly normal.

Any comments/help is appreciated.

Btw: “set-var def_windbg_path” seems to be unable to change the calling dbgeng.dll, even though one of MS Visaul Studio is given. Global env. variable (path) seemingly also has  zero effect. Debug->Debugger Information always points to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dbgeng.dll
no matter what is done. Looks like error to me.

P.S. Adding in Tools->Options->Debugging->Directories
paths to dozen most essential ones (project has hundreds)
helped to get rid of some portion of pauses/timeouts of debugger.
Not of all of them though. Also it didn't affect
“**Symbol evaluation time out” problem.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:32:38 PM by xkx »