Author Topic: Any plans to upgrade Slickedit's external gdb support?  (Read 4957 times)

Mario Figueiredo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Any plans to upgrade Slickedit's external gdb support?
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »
I understand slickedit ships with gdb 6.6. But this depends on cygwin dll and I'm not interested on that setup. Meanwhile, gdb 6.3.2 is not ideal either when gdb 6.6 (mingw configured) is there and is a much better product.

So the question is, are there any plans to upgrade slickedit's gdb support to a more recent version?

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Any plans to upgrade Slickedit's external gdb support?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:48:02 PM »
For the short term at least, we plan to continue shipping the Cygwin based version of GDB, however, it is nice to know that MinGW has finally caught up to the mainstream.  If it proves to be a stable solution and MinGW keeps current with GDB releases over the next year, I will definately consider making the switch for SlickEdit 2008.  If MinGW doesn't keep up, it would be a mistake for us not to stick with the Cygwin GDB.

If you personally prefer to use the MingW GDB 6.6, just point SlickEdit at it by going to Debug > Debugger Options..., Configurations tab.  Add it to the list and make it the "default native debugger"

Mario Figueiredo

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
You are right, Dennis. I too was pleasantly surprised to see GDB 6.6 there. This may mean finally they got someone (or someones, pardon the french) to maintain it.

Thanks for your reply. I'll hope too this proves a stable version.

Meanwhile, no. I can't add MinGW's GDB 6.6 as a default native debugger. My guess is that some small change in the output format of the backtrace command renders it useless for integration into the current slickedit releases, since slickedit reports the "application has no stack frames" (or something similar) right there at the beginning of the debug process.

Naturally, there are. And I can debug with the command line. Just not on slickedit.

Mario Figueiredo

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »
In fact, I found the reason why I get that debug error. And this presents itself as a whole new problem.

I had a check in place at main level() that exited the application if it returned false. The application was exiting because this precondition was actually failing. So there's nothing wrong with slickedit gdb integration at this level. My bad.

However, as I said, this presents a new problem you may be interested in. And I think it warrants a new thread. Back there in a moment...