Author Topic: SlickEdit 12.x Upgrade Problem  (Read 3752 times)

cthomson

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
SlickEdit 12.x Upgrade Problem
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »
I have been using SlickEdit since the last century ;) but I dread every time there's a new version.  For all the time spent on features in the editor it seems that little time is spent on providing a smooth upgrade.  I have managed over the years to find some tricks to importing old configuration settings but this time has been a total failure.  Upgrading from 11.0 to 12.x failed to retain colors, key mappings, fonts, and who knows what else.  I have reinstalled at least a dozen times using different combinations of locations for VSLICKCONFIG and copying old macros without success.

Is it really that difficult to import the user's previous settings?  This version doesn't even seem to know what basic keyboard emulation I was using - it asks me to choose one on startup.

Am I missing another hidden trick to a working upgrade?  The old method of running vusrdefs in the command line causes an error on the first line "expecting type name" (the line is "ArgumentCompletionDoKey  def  ' '").

Also, how do I go back to a horizontal cursor?  That's another thing that disappears at every upgrade but I couldn't find my notes on restoring it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:22:42 PM by cthomson »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: SlickEdit 12.x Upgrade Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:22:58 PM »
Also, how do I go back to a horizontal cursor
I'm using  _cursor_shape('824 1000 100 1000 500 1000 100 600');
in a macro which also restores a number of settting w/o GUI support (some 'def_' vars etc.) in case I need it.

You should check the VSLICKCONFIG var SlickEdit is really using e.g. in the 'Build' window with the 'set' command.
If it points to the directory where your prev. v11.02 config is located the 'import' should work quite seamless...
Nevertheless it always asks for the keyboard emulation to use on 1st startup.

Good luck,
HS2

cthomson

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: SlickEdit 12.x Upgrade Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:33:07 PM »
Thank you!  The _cursor_shape command should do the trick.

Yes, I ran the "set" command in a command window and the VSLICKCONFIG variable points to the correct directory (which was not under My Documents).  I've also tried moving all my configuration files to the default location under My Slickedit Config\version but that didn't help either.

Forgive me but asking what emulation to use during an upgrade is just plain DUMB!  Do the developers think I'm suddenly going to change my keyboard preference after all these years?

Thanks for your help.