Author Topic: Feature request: Better HiDPI screen support for Linux  (Read 1343 times)

hatboots

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Feature request: Better HiDPI screen support for Linux
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:58:56 PM »
My screen is 15.6 inches in diameter (it's a laptop), the resolution is 3840 x 2160. Currently I am running Debian Buster (some graphics backports installed from Debian BullsEye to better handle my HiDPI screen. As a consequence, most applications work as they should although there still are good applications that are useless on my screen).

To be clear: This does not apply to all icons inside SlickEdit. Tool icons work out just fine.
The problem is the «rolling-document-arrows» to the right of the document tabs, where you scroll through the many open buffers, the «close-tab-x» of each document tab, the up/down and right/left scrolling arrows, check-boxes, radio buttons, the «+» icon to expand a level e.g. in the Tools --> Options dialog etc. A similar situation is also true for other dialogs when tuning or using SlickEdit. Those icons appear close to mere dots. These icons are hard to select, particularly when using the mouse-pad which is not as precise as a regular mouse.

Please see the attachment to illustrate the problem. It is a dump of my entire screen, while having loaded SlickEdit (the current beta 3) with the "Options" dialog visible, a few FireFox sessions (one is partially visible), LibreOffice (while writing this request) + more. Font and symbol use may be compared between the visible applications.
As can be seen, I prefer to have small fonts inside SlickEdit (compare that to my scetching this text using LibreOffice, where font size 12 are larger on the screen than my font size 18 inside SlickEdit.

I asked about this for the 2019 edition, but was told it wouldn’t be of priority back then; the Linux world had no proper standard for handling graphics wrt screen resolution. This is still true, but it seems QT is gaining traction as the de facto standard, so maybe it is possible to get that now?

A good, fully acceptable alternative would be to offer several sets of the critical icons, each having different pixel sizes, much like how font usage inside SlickEdit has to be at the moment (compare the SlickEdit courier font size of 18 with LibreOffice’s font size 12 in the screendump). This should be possible to implement without changing any graphics mechanics.

I hope that you can find the time to implement this for the 2021 edition of SlickEdit, it would really ease my work in SlickEdit, and I would think that more people are using HiDPI screens today than it was back in 2019.

Thank you.

-----------------
Added:
I apologize for my inaccuracy. I see from my screen dump that the LibreOffice document was scaled to 118%, which gives a wrong font-size impression between the applications when you compare them. Scaling the LibreOffice document to 100% still yields a larger letter size on my screen than do SlickEdit's size 18, but not to the same extent as shown.
However, the number assigning a particluar font size or its scaling isn't important at all in this context, so I leave it at that.

What is interesting are the sizes I need for things to be readable. For that, a letter's size is a good measurement of what I am able to interprete. I expect most of you would think my font size choice inside SlickEdit is terribly small. Most of my friends and collegues at work tell me that.

The screen-dump supplied still illustrates the icon size problem described properly. Please advise if you want a sample of comparably scaled fonts, I'll be happy to supply one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:51:33 PM by hatboots »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Feature request: Better HiDPI screen support for Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 11:31:46 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. Very helpful. Needs some improvement for sure. We are out of time for v26 but hopefully we can fix this in the near future.

hatboots

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
Thank you. I'll be looking forward to a solution here. :)

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 10:07:57 PM »
We have moved most of our icon drawing to scalable (SVG) icons over recent years.  These are a few of the holdovers.  I'm fixing them up for the next build of version 26.

hatboots

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »
OK, thank you. That is nice.
I take it that this will be the build after beta4, then, as I have not found any way of adjusting these icons yet in beta4.
I'll wait :)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
How do the RC1 icon changes look on your display?