Author Topic: SlickEdit Core for the Mac?  (Read 20023 times)

JimTomlinson

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit Core for the Mac?
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
So I read the post below from late last year in the plugin forum. Has there been any more thought to a Mac version of Core? Do you have any idea how many Java developers use Eclipse on Macs, and would love to cough up $99 annually for a decent vi- and other editor-compatible plugin? Yes, I know about and use Mike Bartl's viPlugin, which is well worth the 15 euros; it's a noble effort, but somehow I just think the SlickEdit team might put out a more solid product. :) Please tell me you want our money, and are working on a Mac version!

- Jim Tomlinson

---
previous post
---
ScottW, VP of Dev
SlickEdit Team Member
Community Member
   Re: Eclipse plugin for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Certainly this is something we've talked about. Currently there is no plan for that. We would have precisely the same problem in Eclipse that we do in SlickEdit since the SlickEdit Plug-in for Eclipse uses the same core libraries as SlickEdit. Our GUI uses our own cross-platform layer to render dialogs, buttons, and other widgets. So the SlickEdit Plug-in elements in Eclipse would not look any more native than they do in SlickEdit.

Until we have a solution for this issue, we are reluctant to offer a version of the SlickEdit Plug-in on the Macintosh. I hope this sheds some light and helps.

garion911

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
Re: SlickEdit Core for the Mac?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »
I too would love a OSX 'native' version of slick, either through Core or regular Slick... I'm happy enough with the X11 Mac one for now, but definitely would prefer native.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I feel for you guys, I'm just not sure we have the resources to dedicate to producing a Mac plug-in at this time.  I don't make the schedules or hand out the assignments...but that is just my gut feeling right now.

:-\

- Ryan

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
We have no plan to build a native OS X version of SlickEdit. Since SlickEdit Core uses the same implementation as SlickEdit, a plug-in for Eclipse would have the same issues on the Mac as SlickEdit does. We recognize that many of our customers would really like us to tackle this, but we just don't have the resources for a project of that size right now.

--Scott

dgs

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:50:45 AM »
I hope you reconsider, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

thanks,
Danny

jbhelmly

• New Community Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
With Scott's reply I guess I will simply have to explore other options like Crisp.  Does anyone have any real experience with Crisp for OS X? ???

bpatters

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
I'd also love to have slick edit core for Mac. I've used slickedit at work for years and use to use it at home. Now that I'm 100% Mac for all my personal development I really miss slickedit.

harald

• New Community Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
yes, please -- slickedit core for mac! i would order one -- right now -- if it would be available.

bpatters

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »
yes, please -- slickedit core for mac! i would order one -- right now -- if it would be available.

Yea I'm actually working on phasing out slickedit completely because of lack of Mac support. I've been using slickedit for 10 years and still love it, but I need a single editor I can use for all my development cross platform at home and work. I still use it at work heavily, I can't live without VIM emulation and tag support, but am actively looking for an alternative.

wahnker

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
I was ready to purchase SE Core right now, but I was sad to learn it is not available for Mac :(

BTW, I have to use Eclipse for Android development.   I'm fairly new to Android, but all I know is I hate using Eclipse.  I was SE user for years and would buy Core in a heartbeat.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Heh...we would love to provide an Eclipse plugin for Mac (especially now that we have a native Mac version of the standalone SlickEdit editor), and it is definitely going to be explored and tested soon.  I will keep this group posted, and hopefully along the way we will have good news.  It is a different world for us, but one we desperately want to get our hands on.  We would love to provide a great SlickEdit plugin on Mac...and think it would be a wise business decision.  Keep your fingers crossed, and remember that the QT port in SlickEdit v17 was a big step in the right direction.

- Ryan

wahnker

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
I'm back!  Just checking to see if there's been any progress for a Mac version of Slickedit Core.  After all this time, I'm still ready to buy it.  By the way, I would love to be able to use Diffzilla on Mac as well.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Unfortunately the only update I have for you is that it's not looking like we are going to produce a Mac plugin in our upcoming 4.2.0 release.  It's still on our radar though, and we still hope to make it happen.

- Ryan