Author Topic: Subversion File Status not working (version cache build problem?)  (Read 21170 times)

pieterc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Hi!

I set up a project to use SVN, but it does not display different icons next to file names to represent their status in SVN in the Project tool window.

When I try to view the history of a file, SlickEdit reports that the version cache needs to be built first. This happens every time and makes me suspect that the version cache is not being built (correctly). The non-branch history facility seems to work correctly.

What am I doing wrong? I have attached a minimal project to test SVN that should be expanded to "C:\Temp\TestSVN". It also expects SVN to be located at "C:\Program Files\Subversion\svn.exe" and for the record, the version that I use is 1.6.9

Thanks in advance!
Pieter

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: Subversion File Status not working (version cache build problem?)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
This is two separate issues.  First (I have to check this) if you go to Tools>Version Control>Setup and click the "Setup" button, is "Show status on file icons" set to "True"?

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:37 AM »
Hi Dan,

Yes, the "Show status on file icons" is set to "True".

Regards,
Pieter

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
Hi Dan,

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that you are able to create a local SVN repository (e.g. file:///C:/Temp/TestSVN/Repository) and set up a SlickEdit project so that it overlays the file status icons over the file names in the projects tool window? E.g. when you change the file and save it, a small red circle should appear over the file icon to indicate that it has been changed? If you "revert" the file, does the red circle disappear? I want to know if it works for other people and I am doing something wrong...

For the record, I'm using SlickEdit 15.0.0.6 with hotfix_se1500_7_cumulative on Windows 7 and SVN 1.6.9 (C:\Program Files\Subversion\svn.exe).

I'm willing to debug subversion.e if you point me in the right direction to give you more info to work with.

Attached are screenshots to describe my observation more clearly. When I ask for the "History for test.c", a dialog box pops up (ScreenShot0003.png), indicating that the version cache has not been built yet. When I press the "Yes" button, two windows pop up, which I assume is the non-branch history facility (ScreenShot004.png) AND the branch history facility  (ScreenShot005.png).

Thanks in advance,
Pieter

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
Pieter:

Yes, the status bitmaps work in a local repository, it is one of my test cases.

In 15.0 I don't think that revert would immediately remove the status, it would take until the next time it refreshes (you can set this interval on the configuration dialog).

Are the bitmaps appearing but not changing?

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
Hi Dan,

For this simplified test case, the bitmaps are not appearing.

I have set "Get updates from Subversion every (m)" to 1. Which Slick-C function queries the state of each file (before displaying an overlay)?

Maybe I can put a breakpoint there and find out why the status is not detected as "changed"...

Pieter

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
Unfortunately its not in Slick-C.

Let's go a slightly different direction.  If you bring up the process monitor, do you see the svn executable popup every minute?

Are you using Windows XP?

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
No, a svn executable does not pop up every minute. It does not appear to be run at all (I checked for at least 2 minutes).

For the record, I am using Windows 7 and also have TortioseSVN installed, which has a process running called "TSVNCache.exe"

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
Do you have a workspace open?  Is the current project setup for Subversion?

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
Yes, and yes. :)

pieterc

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »
Hi Dan,

I have uninstalled TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads) to check if it's TSVNCache.exe process is interfering with SlickEdit.

It does indeed appear to be the case, because the file status icon is appearing and disappearing now.

Would you mind installing TortoiseSVN and checking if it interferes with your project too?

Regards,
Pieter

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
I have Tortoise installed and it does not seem to cause any interference here.

The reason I asked about XP is because I fixed a bug that would cause this feature to work (or not work) intermittently.  It seemed more likely to appear on XP.  I wonder if this is what you are experiencing.

Enough changed between the two versions I don't think I can send you a new DLL and have it work, but I will check on this today.

gawied

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »
Hi Dan and Pieter

Did you ever manage to fix this? I am running the latest version 15.0.1.3 with all available hotfixes installed. I have exactly the same problem as described by Pieter and I am also running TortoiseSVN.

I would reaaly like to make use of this feature. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gawie

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
What is the path to your svn.exe?

If you go to Tools>Version Control>Setup, and click the Setup button, what is the Subversion executable set to?

gawied

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »
It is set to: C:\svn-win32\bin\svn.exe

This is using the SVN binaries from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/.

I also tried the binaries from CollabNet and got the same result.