Author Topic: Can't run v11 Demo on OS X  (Read 12444 times)

bittwiddler35

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Can't run v11 Demo on OS X
« on: July 02, 2006, 09:59:15 PM »
I just download the v11 trial.  i am running on OS X 10.4.7.

The error from the crash log is:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/SlickEdit11Trial.app/Contents/MacOS/SlickEdit
  Reason: image not found

The only thing in /usr/X11R6 is a 'man' directory - so I obviously don't have X11 installed.

Does anyone know where I should download this from?  Or is there is a way to run SlickEdit without X11?

Thanks,
BT

bittwiddler35

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Can't run v11 Demo on OS X
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »
You need to install X from your Tiger DVDs (I used the Pacifist utility).

Now I have it up and running, but the slickedit web site keeps crapping out every time I try to request a trial key. 

I guess I'll just stick to using SlickEdit for Windows development...

-BT

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
To register your trial, please send us the "Host ID" that appears in the initial dialog, and we will generate a valid FEATURE line for you. 

If there is no "Host ID" in the dialog, please make sure that you have a network card installed (required to use the trial).  If you have a network card installed, please go to the  Product/BIN directory in a Terminal or Command Prompt, and enter:

./lmutil lmhostid

The resulting information will be a list of hostids.  Please copy and paste the first hostid and email it to support@slickedit.com.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 08:59:04 PM by Ashley »

j0hnw

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
You need to install X from your Tiger DVDs (I used the Pacifist utility).

Now I have it up and running, but the slickedit web site keeps crapping out every time I try to request a trial key. 

I guess I'll just stick to using SlickEdit for Windows development...

-BT

Stick with it, and give OSX Slickedit a spin. I've been using Slickedit on the OS X for about a month now (I ended up purchasing a copy). It's far from perfect -- I've got a long wishlist of features which I can't wait to post here, including Native Cocoa interface -- but, for me, it beats out BBEdit, TextWrangler, JEdit and even XCode editor (although the later is not bad). It might be different if my fingers were used to EMACs command/gyrations -- but I use Brief emulation. Shows you how long I've been programming ;-) You can't teach an old dog new keyboard emulations.

Again, stick with it a bit long, and kick the tires. Good luck.

j0hn