Author Topic: Search and Replace Bug  (Read 3286 times)

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 92
Search and Replace Bug
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:46:12 PM »
I ran into a problem yesterday that has me quite concerned.  I did a simple search and replace in a file and SE screwed up.  The file was an XML table and I collimated it by searching and replacing to insert a bunch of spaces into the middle of the line, then did a column selection and used shift-Tab to pull everything into alignment.

The file has about 1800 lines and each line is around 150 characters long.

What I saw was that on a couple lines in addition to the spaces, chunks of text from elsewhere on the line got inserted.

I seem to remember this bug from years ago, but I thought it had been cleaned up.

- Tim

SlickEdit Version 15.0.1.3

Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\slickedit\15\slickedit.lic

Build Date: August 04, 2010
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 3
Memory: 45% Load, 90MB/2097MB Physical, 158MB/2097MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /q

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Search and Replace Bug
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the bug report. Any chance you could provide before and after versions of the file (or something representative that will reproduce the problem) along with the exact search/replace strings? While I certainly believe this bug exists, I don't think I'll be able to reproduce it without more detail.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »
Scott,

This is embarrassing. I saw the problem yesterday and reproduced it several times.  This morning, before I posted, I loaded the newest hotfixes and tried it again and it happened.  Just now I was preparing an e-mail to send to you the file and information. I made sure I could reproduce it and I couldn't.  I know it's the same file and same strings, but it doesn't happen.  Obviously something is different, but I don't know what.

I apologize for this.  If I encounter it again I'll let you know.

- Tim

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »
No need to apologize. That happens to me all the time. I'll hit a bug that is very reproducible, and when I try to show it to one of the developers I can't get it to happen. Let us know if it pops up again and we'll look into it. That was a very disturbing sounding bug, and we like to fix those as soon as we can.